[Openstack] Issues with Packaging and a Proposal

Soren Hansen soren at openstack.org
Thu Aug 25 10:47:47 UTC 2011

2011/8/25 Thomas Goirand <thomas at goirand.fr>:
>> If you (or I) do a one-off backport, we then upload a source package and
>> then, often, don't shove the code anywhere. That's because a lot of the
>> time it's easiest just to do dget, hack version, debuild -S, dput.
>
> Outch! Bad habit. Better do:
>
> git checkout upstream-squeeze-backport

Except not every package lives in git.

> git cherry-pick -x <sha256-sum>

..and not every (in fact, hardly any at all) backport involves
cherry-picking anything. They're mostly a matter of grabbing the
package from sid or $UBUNTU_DEV_RELEASE, adding a changelog entry, and
uploading to an older version of Ubuntu (in the PPA).

These are packages that I have no intention of ever touching again. At
least not until the next time we need a newer version, at which point
I'll start over.

--
Soren Hansen
Ubuntu Developer    http://www.ubuntu.com/