[Openstack] API Spec

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Aug 25 08:24:13 UTC 2011

And now, the architects vs. developers discussion :)

I hear both sides of the argument, and I think both have very valid points.

However, so far we have been following the "architect" way (design
upfront and separately from code), and it's failing miserably.

I'm a bit tired to see developers spending all their time trying to
catch up with a spec they had little influence on. I regret that some
key features in a release end up being exposed in some strange
extension. Most of all, I feel sorry for not having any release fully
compliant with an API that is under our control.

So I'm more than ready to give the "developers" way its chance.
Especially with safeguards like an API freeze and inclusion of
architects in the review process when API is touched. I think we can
mitigate the risk of anarchistic design, and actually end up with code
that matches API.

Regards,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)