[Openstack] Issues with Packaging and a Proposal

Michael Barton mike-launchpad at weirdlooking.com
Wed Aug 24 22:09:34 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 3:11 PM, Soren Hansen <soren at openstack.org> wrote:
> Rackspace isn't doing their own packaging because of (lack of) Debian
> support. If they did, they'd have realised almost immediately that the
> packages actually build on Debian. They're doing it because there'll
> supposedly be differences in the behaviour Ubuntu (or any other distro
> for that matter) will want and what Rackspace will want from the
> packages. I've becried this divergence countless times, but to no
> avail.
>
> That cloudbuilders aren't using the packages either.. I don't really
> know what to say about that.

Nobody's maintaining their own packaging because it's lots of fun, but
we can't close shop every time someone decides to go and nerf the
openstack packaging.  Like right now, the openstack Swift packages are
broken for the OS cloudfiles deploys on and they're missing useful
features cloudfiles uses.

-- Mike