[Openstack] Issues with Packaging and a Proposal

Michael Shuler mshuler at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 17:27:55 UTC 2011

On 08/24/2011 10:56 AM, Monty Taylor wrote:
> - Lack of Debian support.
>
> - Direct injection to Ubuntu not via Debian. The publically stated
> best-practice for things entering Ubuntu is to be added to/uploaded to
> Debian and then synced, unless there is some compelling reason not to do
> this. In this case, we had Ubuntu devs and no Debian devs in the core,
> so we keep improving packages and adding packages to Ubuntu but are not
> doing the same to Debian.

+1million.

I made every attempt, early on at Rackspace, to advocate a) packaging in
Debian main and letting the packages roll up into Ubuntu, and b) using
git and GitHub.  For the simple reason of not really being an outspoken
human and tending to go with the flow, in the face of opposition, I caved..

I continued to attempt to make headway with work on Debian packaging,
regardless of the fact that it was seen as counterproductive, and I
applaud Thomas Goirand for single-handedly pushing this agenda.  Thank
you, thank you, Thomas.

I sincerely applaud Openstack for looping back around and recognizing
the value in following best-practices for packaging software for the
Debian and Ubuntu communities, both.  And for working through the
transition to using git :-)

I snipped all the details with regards to Debian stable backports, RPM
builds, and other process, but all of that is outstanding discussion in
the right direction for the Openstack project as a whole.  Please,
continue to listen closely and trust Thomas' opinions on the "Right Way"
to do things for Debian packaging - they have been spot on, since I
first saw his Debian ITP (Intent to Package) bug reports, and the
subsequent discussions on this list.

I'm *so* glad to see this getting sorted out, finally!

--
Warm regards,
Michael