[Openstack] wiki account creation

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Wed Aug 24 14:47:03 UTC 2011

All,
I have had to switch the wiki.openstack.org wiki to disallow new account
creation through the wiki/web interface. I have changed directions on the
wiki to guide people to email me to ask for a new account, but I wanted to
be sure everyone knows about the change. If you need an account, email me to
request one with  your desired user name, email address, and I'll send you a
temporary password.

The reason for the switch is that the wiki spam got really bad, see 7/22/11
page history for example, where 17 spam pages were created. Around that time
I asked in IRC if anyone objected to disabling the account creation, and

I'd like some assistance with changing the page that appears when you use
?action=login in the wiki so that it indicates to people that they must
email to get an account.

I had hoped this was a temporary fix, to disable new account creation, but
this wiki engine seems particularly weak in this area. I have implemented
the anti spam suggestion listed in http://moinmo.in/AntiSpamGlobalSolution.
I have also updated the BadContent page. I am open to other suggestions. If
anyone has MoinMoin experience in a public arena, let's talk.

Thanks,
Anne
*Anne Gentle*
anne at openstack.org