[Openstack] Improving test coverage and how you can help out!

Sandy Walsh sandy.walsh at RACKSPACE.COM
Thu Aug 18 14:03:41 UTC 2011

Soren, that's an awesome utility to have. I'll certainly be using to shore up some coverage.

Nice work!

-S
From: openstack-bounces+sandy.walsh=rackspace.com at lists.launchpad.net [openstack-bounces+sandy.walsh=rackspace.com at lists.launchpad.net] on behalf of Soren Hansen [soren at linux2go.dk]
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2011 7:54 AM
To: openstack at lists.launchpad.net
Subject: [Openstack] Improving test coverage and how you can help out!

At the design summit, we agreed we'd work hard on improving our test
coverage. Our friendly neighbourhood butler, Jenkins, keeps track of
our test coverage:

    https://jenkins.openstack.org/job/nova-coverage/lastStableBuild/cobertura/

Clearly, there's lots of room for improvement.

I'd like to encourage anyone who cares about testing to take a look at
that page, find something, big or small, that lacks test coverage and
add tests for it. No method is too small to be tested (the devil's in
the details!). Good test coverage is extremely important for
maintaining momentum in a project of this level of complexity, so this
is a very important effort. I've started filing bugs about missing
unit tests. I've only filed a few so far, some are about a few
statements that are missing tests, others are about entire modules
that hardly have any unit tests at all:

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bugs?field.tag=unittests

Feel free to add more bugs like these! It's easier to pick stuff off
of a list like that than to try to take in the entire coverage report.

The 100% test coverage we decided (or was it 99%? ot 95%?) at the
summit is not going to happen within the next month or two, so I'd
like to just see how much we can achieve before the Diablo release.
I'll try to extract some useful numbers every week to see how we're
doing.

Who's with me?

--
Soren Hansen        | http://linux2go.dk/