[Openstack] Is Openstack suitable to my problem?

Thiago Moraes thiago.camposmoraes at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 08:10:21 UTC 2011

Hey guys,

I'm new on the list and I'm currently considering Openstack to solve a data
distribution problem. Right now, there's a server which contains very large
files (usual files have 30GB or even more). This server is accessed by LAN
and over the internet but, of course, it's difficult to do this without
local connection.

My idea to solve this problem is to deploy new servers on the places which
access data more often in an such a way that they get a local copy of the
most accessed part of data by then. In my head, I consider that there will
be N different clouds, one at my location and the others spread on another
networks. Then, these new clouds would download and store parts of the data
(entire files) so that they can be accessed through their own LAN.

Is Openstack suitable in this environment? Anyone would recommend another
solution?

PS: I know the file size limitations of 5GB. I just need that all parts of a
file to be in the same local area network so that a blazingly fast Internet
connection is not required all the time.

thanks,

Thiago Moraes - EnC 07 - UFSCar