[Openstack] VNC and dashboard

Anthony Young sleepsonthefloor at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 16:14:38 UTC 2011

Hey Carlo,

Not sure what the exact issue is in that question as I'm having trouble
reproducing, but I left a comment with a guess.  It is worth noting that the
protocol that is used to set up the proxy is different for html5 browsers
like safari/chrome versus Firefox(and I suppose IE?).  In Chrome, a native
websocket is used, and all communication goes over port 6080.  In Firefox, a
flash swf is used to help with the proxying, and that component attempts to
communicate over port 843.  So you need to make sure both 843 and 6080 are
not firewalled.

Also, support for non-html5 browsers is quite recent, so you would need a
recent version of nova if you want to use vnc in a browser besides
chrome/safari.

I hope that helps a bit...

Anthony