[Openstack] [Gerrit] More problems

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Tue Aug 9 15:55:32 UTC 2011

Yuriy Taraday <yorik.sar at gmail.com> writes:

> Hello.
>
> So, I'm still trying to understand how to work with Gerrit.
> I've uploaded series of commits to Gerrit. One of them is
> https://review.openstack.org/159. Patchset has been changed several times
> then merged then reverted, but change is still in Merged status. Who should
> set it to any other status (I can not do it)?

The "merged" status is correct.  Once a commit is merged, it stays that
way, even if it is reverted, because the process of reversion creates a
new commit, and leaves the old one alone.  If you examine the commit
history here, you'll see that your commit was merged, and then reverted
in a subsequent commit:

https://github.com/openstack/keystone/commits/master

I believe the best thing to do to get that change in now is update it
and submit it as a new change for review (get rid of the change-id line
in the commit message if you re-use the old one).

> It looks like it has been reverted because Jenkins checked it not with
> master branch on target repo, but on some different branch. How could
> it be?

Maybe Dolph's commit message could have gone into more detail -- from
talking to him on IRC about it, I gathered that Dolph was adding more
tests to keystone, and in doing so, found that your change caused them
to fail.  That's why he reverted your change.  I don't believe it had
anything to do with misbehavior on Jenkins's part.

> Are there any way to see what has been changed in change between two
> patchsets? It was simple when it was a branch, not a separate commit.

Two patchsets attached to the same Gerrit change can be compared by
selecting "Old Version History" on the change screen, or "Patch History"
on the diff screen.  Differences between two different changes in Gerrit
aren't available in the web interface to my knowledge -- I'd recommend
fetching the changes (instructions are available on the change screen)
and diffing them with git locally.

-Jim