[Openstack] Nova D3 Milestone and the skipped tests

Ewan Mellor Ewan.Mellor at eu.citrix.com
Wed Aug 3 21:02:12 UTC 2011

I think, having read through everything that Vish said, and everything you guys have said, the only problem we have here is one of communication.

I'm sure that Trey didn't _want_ to skip these tests, and I know that Vish accepted the patch knowing the downsides.  He had to trade off the time taken to fix everything perfectly, versus the further remerging / rebasing that would have been necessary if the patch got stalled for any longer.  I agree with Soren that this was not a desirable thing, and I think everyone else would too, but Vish made that decision in full sight of the facts, and I'm happy to support him in that, even though it's my team that's taken the hit in this case.

So what we need to do is to fix the communication.  I don't want Citrix to "own" the ESX support (or anyone else to own any other subsystem) because it would be too easy for people to say "that doesn't matter - Citrix will fix it".  That way, we'll only ever find out too late about stuff that breaks.  However, I _am_ happy for us to talk to people when it comes to complicated cross-cutting features.  We very seriously want multi-NIC support on ESX, so we'd have been very happy to help, if only we found out a bit earlier.  There will be plenty of things in the future that we want to work on multiple hypervisors, and we're willing to invest the developer time to make that the case.

I don't know if either of them will like this idea, but maybe we could make it Vish's problem or Theirry's problem to think about whether the right communication is happening.  By that I mean, when the blueprint is reviewed / accepted for a release, either the PTL or the release manager could take the time to think about whether anyone else should be on the blueprint for notification or involvement.

 Thoughts?

Ewan.