[Openstack] OpenStack Object Store read/write performance

Riley, Kevin kriley at verivue.com
Thu Apr 28 15:34:06 UTC 2011

I am looking at the OpenStack Object Store technology for an application that our company is considering.  The scale out model of the architecture looks like a good fit but we have some real-time performance requirements that I would like some guidance on if possible.  Namely, in our application we will be expected to store very small files (approx 2Mb file size) at a high rate (approx and then read those files almost immediately after the storage completes (approx 1000 reads and writes per second).  My questions are around whether anybody has used the Object Store for applications that require high write-with-immediate-read rates and would I could realistically expect for a given HW configuration.  Additionally I would like to know if anybody has information on expected jitter/delay with respect to being able to read the file immediately after writing.  I realize the answer to this question is highly dependent on the HW configuration (number of nodes in a cluster, drive types, etc) but if somebody has data for an example architecture and expected performance for that architecture I could extrapolate from there.

Thanks,
Kriley