[Openstack] Public Conduct of Project Humans

Michael Shuler mshuler at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 21:02:29 UTC 2011

I am going to make every attempt to tread lightly and ruffle no
feathers, while making a detached John Q. Public observation of how
things look from the outside.  After that, I have a suggestion.

I have not been internally involved with OpenStack since January,
however, I still hold a strong interest in the project's success and
follow progress closely.  From this vantage point, I have an interesting
view of the project - I know a lot of the internals, yet can look
critically as a public bystander.  For quite a few years, I have also
followed the Debian project very closely, both personally and
professionally.

In March, I cringed while reading some of the messages posted to a
thread on the debian-devel mailing list [0] with regards to garnering
interest in packaging OpenStack in Debian.

A currently ongoing thread on debian-devel, about OpenStack packaging
technical specifics, has had numerous messages posted by the same
person, containing what I would describe as "Conduct Unbecoming" of the
OpenStack project.

After re-reading the OpenStack Governance Model [1] and several other
supporting documents on the wiki, it is not clear to me that this
behavior was/is against some policy, but it is obviously unhelpful to
the progress of OpenStack.  It certainly lowered my personal opinion of
the writer who is actively working on the project, as well as holding a
board seat.

When I question the people working on a project, I question the
viability of that project.  I would very much like to see the long-term
success of OpenStack, and accordingly, the members and board of the
project, in my opinion, should make every effort to encourage that success.

My suggestion:  Be nice.  Be helpful.

OK, that was two suggestions..

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/
[1] http://wiki.openstack.org/Governance/Model