[Openstack] API for remotely controlling nova-manage

Thomas Goirand thomas at goirand.fr
Sun Apr 17 17:58:59 UTC 2011

Hi,

Subject says it all. How should I do that? Is it planned?

Please forget me if the question seems silly, I currently don't know the
code of Nova well enough (I mainly worked on Debian packaging for the
moment). Let me explain my intentions a bit more. I'd like to create a
central web interface that would control installations of Openstack in
few data centers (currently, at least 2, one in US, one in Europe). This
interface would manage the users credentials, billing (and its
corresponding resource usage monitoring), etc. As I'm more advanced in
my packaging, I'll start diving into the Openstack project itself, and
add these features I need, so that everything can be gathered in a
central unique server, and control different locations (zones in Nova?).
Note that my web interface wont be in Python, so a SOAP service for
controlling nova-manage seems the best way for me. Or maybe, will I be
allowed to directly write in the nova MySQL db (then, I'm scared that
the schema will change...).

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

P.S: I've uploaded already python-novaclient to Debian experimental,
which was the only one clean enough, so I could do it. More will follow.