[Openstack] Daemon files packaged in the wrong folder, man pages

Thomas Goirand thomas at goirand.fr
Sun Apr 17 17:47:11 UTC 2011

Hi,

I have noticed that all binaries of Openstack nova / swift / glance, are
going in /usr/bin, including daemons. As per the FSSH, daemons should go
in /usr/sbin. Could we move them in /usr/sbin? If not, why?

In my Debian packaging, I've written few man pages, because it's
forbidden in Debian to package things in /usr/bin or /usr/sbin without
them. I did them in debian/mans, as a temporary solution, because I
didn't want to interfere with current development so close from a
release. But at some point, these man pages should go in the projects
themselves, and not in the debian/mans folder.

I've already noticed that nova has a novamanage.1 which is generated by
Sphinx. What would be the way to write the new man pages I'd like to
add, in the same way? (BTW, as I wrote to Thierry in IRC, it should have
been nova-manage.1 and not novamanage.1) Or would it be seen as
acceptable to write man pages "by hand" (which I am comfortable doing)?
What's the preferred way for the project(s)?

Thomas Goirand (zigo)