[Openstack] KVM Block Migration

Masanori ITOH itoumsn at nttdata.co.jp
Tue Apr 12 01:24:40 UTC 2011

Hi,

Vish also mentioned that we should support the KVM block migration feature
instead of stability which I mentioned because it's very much useful.
I agree with Vish of course. :)
Actually, we discussed inclusion of block migration feature at San Antonio. :)

I've also seen the page Hisaki mentioned. My point is that
the page explains interacting qemu monitor but we need to invoke
the feature through libvirt layer not the qemu monitor directly.
Here, A colleague of mine mentioned that --copy-storage-all option of
virsh looked like not-supported yet in Ubuntu 10.10 at least.

Hisaki,
do you have any information if it's enabled in Ubuntu 11.04 libvirt?
I mean using virsh, did you succeed invoking block live migration
something like the following?

  $ virsh migrate --live --copy-storage-all DOMID DESTURL

Unfortunately, we haven't been able to make enough time trying Natty alpha
because of our schedule delay caused by the earthquake in Northeastern Japan. :(
At least, libvirt(virsh) included in RHEL6 does not support the feature.

But, anyway I will talk about the issue with Kei and Muneyuki before going to
the Design Summit. :)

Regards,
Masanori