[Openstack] Moving code hosting to GitHub

Elliot Murphy elliot at canonical.com
Mon Apr 11 01:43:18 UTC 2011

Hi!

On Sunday, April 10, 2011, Thomas Goirand <thomas at goirand.fr> wrote:
> On 04/09/2011 05:21 AM, Jay Pipes wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> In an effort to speed up our code development processes, reduce the
>> friction amongst existing contributors and reduce barriers to entry
>> for new contributors familiar with the popular git DVCS, we (the
>> OpenStack at Rackspace team) have been studying a transition of our code
>> hosting from Launchpad to GitHub. We understand others would be
>> proposing the same at the design summit, but we figured it would be
>> good to get the discussion started earlier.
>
> It seems that my previous mail never reached the list, so I'll do again.
>
> Launchpad is *EXTREMELY* slow from here in Shanghai, and it should be
> even worth from the center of China. Even doing a simple thing like "bzr
> launchpad-login" can even fail because of connectivity, and I hardly can
> get few KB/s when I do a clone of a bzr repo.
>
> I mostly don't mind so much bzr, even though starting has been really
> annoying, and that I don't know much about advanced usage like I would
> with Git. But what I welcome the most is the hosting on a platform that
> has an acceptable speed from Asia, which really, isn't the case at all
> for Launchpad. Also, the fact that Git doesn't do network connections
> unless its really needed is very welcome.

I am responsible for supporting the teams that develop and operate
Launchpad and other tools and systems at Canonical that we provide as
a high tech incubator of sorts for open source projects.

We have heard complaints about slowness from china before, and about
slowness of Launchpad even outside of china. Over the last few months
we have made huge improvements to performance outside of china, and
have begun thinking about options for speeding things up inside china.
It would be fantastic to get some help from you with specific
technical detail about what is most painfully slow (perhaps off list),
and it would also be fantastic to get pointers to sites that you find
have outstanding performance in china. I have CC'd Rob who is the
Launchpad technical architect, he has been the driver of our recent
performance push.

To the open stack community on general, i'd like to say: GitHub
absolutely rocks, nothing but love for them. But please know that we
are delighted and proud to have open stack using Launchpad and bazaar,
and I don't want you to leave without having a chance to make things
perfect for you. In fact we are sending a Launchpad and bazaar
developer to the upcoming openstack summit.

--
Elliot Murphy | https://launchpad.net/~statik/