[Openstack] Moving code hosting to GitHub

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Fri Apr 8 22:57:51 UTC 2011

On 04/08/2011 02:51 PM, Naveed Massjouni wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 5:21 PM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> In an effort to speed up our code development processes, reduce the
>> friction amongst existing contributors and reduce barriers to entry
>> for new contributors familiar with the popular git DVCS, we (the
>> OpenStack at Rackspace team) have been studying a transition of our code
>> hosting from Launchpad to GitHub. We understand others would be
>> proposing the same at the design summit, but we figured it would be
>> good to get the discussion started earlier.
>>
>> GitHub has a number of major strengths when it comes to managing source code:
>> - Contributors seem to be more familiar with, and comfortable using, git
>> - The code review process on GitHub is easier to use for reviewers
>>  who use the website interface and allows for fine-grained comment
>>  control per line in diffs
>>
>> As good as the GitHub review system is, there are some deficiencies,
>> such as the lack of ability to mark a request as definitively
>> approved. We hope to work with the GitHub team to investigate how this
>> can be rectified.
>>
>> Of course, there is much more to delivering a professionally released
>> open source software package than just the code hosting platform. This
>> is the primary interface for code contributors who are actively
>> developing, but the project also needs to have processes in place for
>> handling bug reports, managing distribution, packaging, translations,
>> and releasing the code in an efficient manner.
>>
>> There are a number of things that Launchpad provides OpenStack
>> projects that GitHub does not have the ability to do. Examples of
>> these things include translation services, project management
>> abilities, package archives for projects, and release-management
>> functionality.
>>
>> Therefore, at this time, we are only proposing moving the code hosting
>> functionality to GitHub, and not radically changing any other parts of
>> the development and release process.
>
> Does this mean we will have to continue using launchpad/bzr for merge
> props for the near future? I don't understand what would be the
> advantage for developers in that case.
> -Naveed

For the near future, yes.

Even if we were to decide to move to git/github _today_ there is a
fairly enormous amount of process and automation built around
bzr/launchpad at the moment that has to be dealt with/migrated.

However - if your question is "if we do move to git/github for code
hosting, will we still use bzr/launchpad for merge props at that point"
the answer would most certainly be no.