[Openstack] Federated Identity Management (bursting and zones)

Sandy Walsh sandy.walsh at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Apr 6 05:15:38 UTC 2011

Good point.

Certainly depends on the type of reseller we're dealing with. If it's a company, each instance will likely share the network. If it's a university (let's say), each student may be on their own network.

This may fall into the Distributed Scheduler camp ... don't allocate new instances in Zones running low on available networks?

-S

From: Vishvananda Ishaya [vishvananda at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2011 4:31 PM
To: Sandy Walsh
Cc: Eric Day; openstack at lists.launchpad.net
Subject: Re: [Openstack] Federated Identity Management (bursting and zones)

Just thought of something else to consider.

There is a further issue with setting the owner to resource_group: Networking.  In Vlan mode, each owner gets its own vlan and communication between the instances is easy.  If users start dividing up instances into a bunch of sub-groups we will run out of vlans very quickly.

Network communication between the subgroups will probably be much more complicated as well.  Perhaps some of this can be solved with the multinic / network refactor.  If we can specify at launch which network we want the instance created in instead of keying it off of the owner's network, we might have everything we need.

at abuse at rackspace.com, and delete the original message.
Your cooperation is appreciated.