[Openstack] heterogeneous instance types

Lorin Hochstein lorin at isi.edu
Fri Apr 1 15:22:55 UTC 2011

On Apr 1, 2011, at 10:55 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:

> Brian Schott wrote:
>>
>> I've uploaded a family of related of blueprints that the USC-ISI team is hoping to integrate into the Diablo release:
>>
>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/heterogeneous-instance-types
>> http://wiki.openstack.org/HeterogeneousInstanceTypes
>
> Hey Brian, interesting work!
>
> I was wondering if you planned support for multiple hypervisor types in
> parallel. With the recent addition of LXC, it makes sense to run an IaaS
> that proposes two types of instances, say KVM and LXC, and routes
> requests to the appropriate subset of compute nodes. Currently we only
> support one type of compute node.

Hi Thierry:

We didn't have this use case in mind when we did our initial implementation of heterogeneous instance types, but it's an interesting idea and should be pretty straightforward to implement (says the guy at ISI who probably contributed the least amount of code to the heterogeneous implementation...).  Is there community interest in this type of functionality?

Take care,

Lorin
-
Lorin Hochstein, Computer Scientist