[Openstack] Feature Freeze status

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 12:59:58 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 8:41 AM, FUJITA Tomonori
<fujita.tomonori at lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> I bet that we'll face more serious shortage of reviewing with
> developers increasing. In genera, developers prefer to write own code
> rather than reviewing. We can't change the nature.

Yes, this is certainly true. I'm hoping that the PTL(s) will help give
some stability to the current process.

> I think that there is no such 'promise' for reviewing in a large
> OSS. If your code can't get enough reviewers, your code might be not
> useful enough for the project. It's sorta evolutionary theory. The
> better code has the better chance to be merged quickly. The features
> are prioritized fairly.

Hmm, I disagree. What is actually more likely is that the clique of
developers that the proposing author is friendly/familiar will review
their merge proposal before other ones. It's not really about good
code versus bad code. Again, it's about prioritizing the reviews for
folks that follow the procedures the community has agreed on.

If the community wants to change the procedures that it has agreed on,
it should do so at the next summit. I *think* that's what Vishy was
saying and that I agree with.

-jay