[Openstack] Proposal to defer existing OS API v1.1 to Diablo, for greater stability in Cactus

Jorge Williams jorge.williams at rackspace.com
Fri Apr 1 03:53:58 UTC 2011

I agree with Justin on 1.  JSON may be acceptable, but I don't believe we are validating throughly.  For example, in the JSON below..."active" is not a valid status, flavorId should be an integer,  etc.  That said, the JSON seems to be pretty close.  The XML is not that far behind it has the same problem as the JSON plus a missing namespace and some bad elements. Personally, I think we may be able to fix the XML with some creative WSGI and XSLT hacking but I'm not sure how easy it would be incorporating that into the code.

We really need to be writing tests around this stuff.  What we do in Rackspace today is that we generate the example in the DevGuide in XML validate the XML against the schema then translate to JSON,  then compare the translated  JSON against the JSON example in the DevGuide.   OR we take the JSON translate it to XML and validate the XML against the schema AND compare the XML against the example in the DevGuide...for instances where we expect input and output (servers, images), we iterate through multiple iterations of this.  Because there's a schema in the loop, we can catch errors like the ones I mentioned above even in the JSON.  Little validation errors are easy to sneak in and they do break clients.  The only real protection that we have is good testing.

As for the missing features in 1.0, I don't think that they're a big deal.  As Justin stated, the underlying implementation is missing AND they've been dropped from the 1.1 spec.  We should wait till the implementation is done -- I have a feeling they'll get implemented because I don't see Rackspace moving to Nova without them :-)   At that point, we can bring then in as extensions to 1.1, then put them into the core in a later version if we think they're worth it.

As for changes in 1.1.  I don't think we should be focused on maximizing compatibility when we switch from one version to another. The whole purpose of having different versions is that they introduce features that would otherwise break clients. That is client developers will have to go back to the code and make some changes in order to get things to work. If we always made compatible changes there would be no reason for changing the version.  I agree that we should be able to support at least two active versions at one time to give people a chance to migrate to the latest version.  I also think we should be investing in language bindings to help people along.   Let's talk about the changes that are coming in 1.1 and discuss exactly what we want those to look like in the summit.

Finally, I'd also rather XML support be marked as experimental in 1.0 rather than excluding it.  We have a large number of clients would rather use XML, because it's more testable or because they have better tooling.

-jOrGe W.