[Openstack] Easy API

Sandy Walsh sandy.walsh at RACKSPACE.COM
Thu Dec 30 19:29:40 UTC 2010

Thanks Andy ... that answers many of our questions.

I haven't had an opportunity to look at Easy API yet, but I don't think there is any reason to break compatibility with the RS/OS API. Here's how I see the flow ('Client' is the client-side command line tool):

1. Client determines Verb of Interest from command line ('create-instance', 'pause', 'add-ip', etc)
2. Client polls the server for WADL/JSON to get that Verb's expected parameter list, URL template and Posting Method.
3. Client dynamically builds gflag/argparse configuration based on parameter list
4. Remaining cmdline arguments are parsed and data types checked based by argparse
5. The Verb's URL template is populated with arguments and submitted via Posting Method (POST, GET, etc)
6. Results obtained ... Profit

Since the URL template came from the server as well as the Posting method it should work fine with RS API. Even the little idiosyncratic quirks can be handled.

If this is the approach easy-api is taking ... sounds like a great replacement for python-cloudservers. Although I'm not convinced introspective approaches won't require hacky tweaks, thus defeating the effort.

Certainly adding Yet Another API doesn't seem like a good idea given the business advantages of maintaining compatibility with existing clients/partners. Extending the current API offers a smoother migration path for all.

I'm sure I'm missing something or just crazy in these assumptions.

Look forward to your feedback ... in the meanwhile I'll look at easy-api.

Cheers,
Sandy