[Openstack] OpenStack core components library

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Fri Aug 27 15:15:32 UTC 2010

On 08/27/2010 08:00 AM, Jay Pipes wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 5:31 PM, Erik Carlin <erik.carlin at rackspace.com> wrote:
>> I love the idea of reusable libraries across OpenStack projects.  That does
>> imply a common language, which may not always be the case, but it does
>> provide some dedup.
>
> Yep, agreed.
>
>> I do think each service should have language bindings.  We have debated the
>> idea of a single set of language bindings across services (e.g. one python
>> binding for compute, object storage, and others like load balancing, dns,
>> networking, etc. when they come) vs. each service being responsible for
>> their own bindings.  What do people think?  If we prefer the former, I would
>> say they should be a separate project.  If they are the responsibility of
>> each service team, I would say they should stay with each individual
>> project.
>
> Each service will really just be a WSGI/REST application, so any
> language that has support for REST communications should be just fine,
> no?  Or am I missing something? :)

Just because a service exposes a REST interface doesn't mean everything
is perfectly happy. Having a library that actually models sensible
things and doesn't make an end user write a crap-ton of boilerplate REST
code goes a long way to making it easier to write client apps.

As a person who has recently been writing apps consuming some REST
services, I would _strongly_ second the suggestion to ensure there are
good bindings. At a minimum we should probably provide sensible python
and ruby bindings. I know there will be Java support for both swift and
nova in jclouds, and if there are other exposed services that want
bindings they can probably go in there.