[Openstack] OpenStack core components library

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Thu Aug 26 20:26:52 UTC 2010

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 15:04:01 -0400
Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> My proposal is to create another project on Launchpad called
> openstack-common that will contain a Python library that standardizes
> and consolidates all the above-mentioned overlap and makes an
> easy-to-use, well-documented library of common utilities and modules
> for the OpenStack family of projects to use. []

I am not familiar with OpenStack code yet but in Hail we eventually
did exactly that, although not for efficiency, but because we were
tired of carefuly porting bugfixes. Also it allowed outside-of-family
programs to use the Amazon S3 C bindings without installing
unrelated packages. You might want to consider throwing a couple
of CloudFiles clients into openstack-common too.

-- Pete