[Openstack-track-chairs] Suggestions (for next time around)

Nick Chase nchase at mirantis.com
Fri Feb 10 14:06:57 UTC 2017

On Thursday, February 9, 2017, Ruben D. Orduz <rubenoz at gmail.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> Firstly: I apologize in advance if this ruffles any feathers and I'm aware
> this is my first time as a track co-chair so I might be lacking context and
> decisions that have been made in the past and am speaking based on my
> 4-year experience as PyCon US Tutorials Chair.
>
> So, one of the main goals of a CFP system, specially one for open source
> communities, should be to minimize the amount of subjective decisions and
> 3) Encourage/require speakers to post slides/videos from recent talks or
> presentations (exceptions can be made for first-time speakers)

This is already part of the CFP, but now that you mention it, it's not on
the track chair tool.

> And there's a few more things we could do to make the process fairer and
> much less subjective than it currently is.
>
> So, for instance, after reviewing couple of dozen proposals in the track I
> was assigned to I feel I could not make an informed and fair decision on
> any of those proposals. Two-paragraph abstract and 4 bullet points is
> absolutely insufficient to say whether a proposal has more merit than other
> in an objective manner. At this point I'm unsure how to proceed without
> resorting to "I know this person", "that other person is in marketing so
> probably not a good idea", "that person is a PTL, so better give them a
> spot", etc. None of which should have place in choosing proposals.
>
> Best,
> Ruben

Here's how I judge (in no particular order):

1)  Is the topic relevant? (If not that pretty much ends the process.)
2)  Is the angle interesting? (A person who comes up with an interesting
angle on a topic is likely to be an interesting speaker.)
3)  Does the topic seem well thought out? Does it tell a coherent story?
4)  Has the topic been clearly communicated (indicating the ability to
communicate)?

---- Nick