[openstack-tc] Governance proposals status tracker

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed May 17 10:49:15 UTC 2017

Flavio Percoco wrote:
>> I intend to regularly update that status page and use it to publish the
>> "weekly status report". We may end up in the future using a less manual
>> tool than wiki prose to track governance proposal status, but I wanted
>> to give it a few rounds of manual usage so that we see what's useful
>> before we talk automation.
>>
>> Let me know (here, or on the preferred TC discussion channel, wherever
>> that ends up being) what you think !
>
> I wonder if it'd be possible to have this groupping on gerrit itself. I know we
> don't have a good way for tagging reviews (right?) except by putting tags on
> commit messages.
>
> Should we adopt some sort of tagging system on the governance reviews?
> * Tag: goals
> * Tag: new-project
> * Tag: other
>
> In addition, we could add a ML "field" that points to the mailing list
> thread.
>
> Both of the additions above would make groupping reviews on a gerrit dashboard
> easier and it would also help maintaining the info on that wiki page
> easier, which (I believe) will be the source for the weekly 'pulse' emails, right?

I wanted us to see what type of detail we want to track first (using
free-form text) before we discuss how we could automate it. But since
you started...

Yes, some things could be easily included in the commit message (ML
thread link). Category (new project, simplification...) could be tracked
using review topic (replacing "formal-vote"). Status is trickier. We
don't want to overwrite someone else's commit message every 2 days.
Could be a special comment (#status) that would get read and used for
update. That's beyond what Gerrit dashboards can do already so we'd need
some specific app to generate that page.

But please, let's first see what we want to track and what's useful,
before starting to automate.