[openstack-tc] General topic areas for the OpenStack Summits

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Jan 20 08:26:02 UTC 2016

Kruithof Jr, Pieter wrote:
> Hi Technical Committee,
>
> A couple of questions.
>
> First, I was wondering how the “general topic areas” are used to select proposals for the summit.  My second question was whether we should make “user experience” one of the topics given that a significant number of our challenges seem to be related to experience.
>
> It would also potentially have the effect of steering the community in the direction of thinking more deeply about experience.  It would be cool to have people give presentation on work they’ve done that specifically benefits users.
>
> Thoughts?  I might be somewhat biased….

Hi!

The OpenStack Summit is an event organized by the OpenStack Foundation.
The Technical Committee has no direct say in the "general topic areas"
or track names (or track leads) for the conference portion of the event.
For example, until Austin, upstream development was not represented at
all as a topic.

It is true that the choice is pretty arbitrary (why "Security" and not
"User experience" ?). It is based on the attendees feedback though, so I
can only encourage you to mention that in the summit feedback form, or
in your discussions with event staff.

The Technical Committee has more control over the "Design Summit" part
of the event, but UX is represented there, like every other official
project team.

Regards,