[openstack-tc] Optimizing delays for governance changes

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed May 6 13:28:04 UTC 2015

Hi TC members,

Yesterday we decided to clarify and simplify delays before discussing
and approving given types of governance changes:

AGREED: consider a change TC meeting material if posted before 0800 UTC
Friday (ttx, 20:51:22)

AGREED: skip repo additions in TC meeting, let them bake at least one
week to check for any -1 and approve them if they have PTL +1 and no TC
-1 by then (ttx, 20:50:44)

I also took the action to propose the corresponding governance change,
if one was needed. To that effect, I carefully re-read our charter
wording and I don't think any change is necessary.

The delay of "4 business days" is between the initial proposal of a
motion and its final approval, not between proposal and discussion in a
meeting. So it is OK to accept things posted late Thursday for
discussion at our meeting, as long as we don't close the vote until late
Wednesday.

As far as repo additions (and other repository housekeeping items) go, I
think it's fair to not consider them "Motions" (especially after [1])
and therefore not apply the charter rules designed for Motions to them.

So I just edited the meeting page at [2] to reflect the new ways /
delays and fast-track rules for the various types of changes, without
pushing for a more costly TC charter change. Let me know if the wording
sounds clear enough to you, and if not, well, it's a wiki :)

[1]
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/governance/commit/?id=321a020cbcaada01976478ea9f677ebb4df7bd6d

[2]
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/TechnicalCommittee#Proposing_discussion_topics.2C_motions_or_other_governance_changes_before_the_TC