[openstack-tc] Using topics to classify governance changes

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Jul 29 14:45:32 UTC 2015

Hey, TC members,

Yesterday we discussed using topics to be able to filter changes that
don't really need a formal TC votes from the ones that do. We need a
small adjustment in Gerrit ACL to let me (or anyone else really) do that.

While we wait, one question: there are 4 kinds of changes at this point
in the governance repo:

1- real governance changes, new tags, new project teams... which require
a formal TC vote as described on our charter

2- project list changes or tag changes that don't require a formal TC
vote to apply (they just need PTL+1 or the tag maintainers +1, and no
objection from TC members after one week)

3- code changes in the publication code or the tag application code
(which require traditional 2+2s)

4- typo changes (which I merge immediately)

Rather than mark categories 2, 3 and 4 as "no-need-for-formal-vote", I'd
rather mark category 1 as "formal-vote". My understanding of the goal of
the change was to be able to separate 1 from 2/3/4 -- I think we can
achieve it the same that way, with less effort (less changes need formal
votes) and a less convoluted name.

Let me know if that would work for you.