[openstack-tc] Defcore-specific TC meeting next week

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Jun 25 09:13:51 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

We have had a number of TC meetings where we discussed Defcore but they
all seem to have just resulted in us airing various disconnected issues
we have with it, and always fell short of addressing our concerns. This
is partly due to the time pressure of our meeting agenda, partly due to
lack of preparation (as we didn't clearly let our concerns about the
whole process crystallize into a clear list of issues to discuss).

I still think that with enough preparation and meeting time, we can use
IRC to discuss this, but we need a clear set of tension points to
discuss and let the Defcore side explain their view on it without
constant interruption or orthogonal messages.

A Defcore-specific TC meeting was scheduled for next week so that we
remove part of the timing pressure.

I'll try to reach most of the TC members that have been vocal about
DefCore, list all the concerns and see if we can clearly express them in
a set of points for the meeting discussion. Feel free to reach me
directly on IRC to discuss this.

The proposed meeting agenda already lists two pain points which I think
emerged from past discussions:

* Tension around asking the representation of contributors to designate
parts of OpenStack that just may be replaced by proprietary alternatives

* Tension around not calling "OpenStack" part of what the OpenStack
community produces

In our preparation discussions we'll confirm that those are indeed
issues and see if there are other concerns that didn't emerge yet but we
need to discuss too.

Regards,