[openstack-tc] recommendation to deprecate XML in new major API versions

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Tue Jan 21 15:53:00 UTC 2014

On Tuesday, January 21, 2014, Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2014-01-14 at 09:29 -0500, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>
> > I would like to see an affirmative statement from the TC like "We are
> > planning to start dropping XML support in APIs during Juno in order to
> > focus our limited development resources" (or a later release, or "we are
> > going to keep doing XML whether we like it or not") posted to the mailing
> > list for feedback, rather than the open-ended "what do you want"
> questions
> > we've been posing.
>
> I'm generally against us closing doors and saying "we never want XML
> support, no matter how much work you're willing to do on it". A ban on
> XML or a "JSON is the one true representation" statement isn't what
> we're trying to achieve.

I think we can be clear about the level of support we can sustain without
being draconian. My point was just that we should always expect someone to
say "yes, please keep XML support" if we ask it as a question. At the same
time, saying directly that we don't require projects to support XML is not
the same as forbidding its use. Our choice of phrasing will be important.

> We want:
>
>   1) Clear guidance to users that XML support is known to be very week
>      and, due to lack of interest in developing and maintaining it, XML
>      support could get worse in future releases. I'm thinking XML
>      support off by default, warnings in documentation, notices in
>      release notes, etc.
>
>   2) An understanding that because of the lack of active maintenance of
>      XML support, authors of new features can choose to regress XML
>      support. Semi-working XML support can't be allowed to hold up
>      progress.

Is a semi-working API useful enough to even ship turned off by default?

Doug