[openstack-tc] Designated Sections Clarification from last meeting

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Aug 6 16:05:22 UTC 2014

Rob_Hirschfeld at Dell.com wrote:
> I’d like to clarify my question at the tail of yesterday’s meeting and
> make sure that DefCore understands the TC’s intent.
>
> My understanding was that the TC, based on Mark Mc’s recommendation,
> asked the Board to take over the definition and approval of designated
> sections.  The TC’s position is that the integrated release is a
> complete entity and it is a commercial function (aka Board
> responsibility) to decide which parts could be considered optional.
>
> DefCore is in the process of updating the DS principles and working on a
> strawman for community review.  I’m planning to request a special
> DefCore/TC join meeting to get your input on that strawman.
>
> We also agreed that the integrated release is the maximum extent that
> could be considered for DS and the Board cannot require components
> outside of that.
>
> Please let me know if we misunderstood the TC’s direction.

That matches my understanding. The board has authority over what applies
(or does not apply) to the "powered by OpenStack" trademark program (and
other such commercial trademark license programs). As part of that
process, it ultimately defines and uses "designated sections" which are
a subset of the TC-defined "OpenStack" integrated release.