[openstack-tc] cross project specs

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Apr 18 16:14:07 UTC 2014

Sean Dague wrote:
> [...]
> However, the specs process that nova, qa, and now neutron are using
> seems quite useful to create a detailed set of guidelines that gather
> agreement from the technical leadership of the project(s). It also would
> let operators weigh in on this, and as they are one of the most affected
> people by it, having their opinions would be great.
>
> So I'd like to create some cross project specs repository, preferably
> soon, so some initial work on this could be done prior to summit and can
> be referenced when appropriate. One of the open questions is who has +A
> on this? It could be the TC, as in some ways these are similar to
> governance docs that affect all the projects. Honestly, to me who has
> finally +A is less important, because I think this is about concensus.
> However it does need to exist for us to even work on the concensus part.
>
> So, question #1 - how would people feel about creating some cross
> project specs repo RSN?

I'm not a complete fan of the idea. I mean, when does a given spec
become cross-project ? Is it limited to blueprints that would affect
EVERY project ? Is it accessible for blueprints that only affect 2
projects ? Because there are a lot of those... and asking a TC+PTLs
group to vet those sounds completely weird (the two involved PTLs should
vet those).

That topic is basically why I wanted to have the cross-project workshop
on "tracking incoming changes". I'm not sure separate repositories in
each project are the solution. I can see a cross-project one quickly
becoming abused, with the TC routinely overreaching into projects.

In an ideal world we would have a single repository, with multiple
directories for each project and links to all affected projects, while
still retaining per-project approvals and all. This is difficult to
support in our repository / gerrit system...

Basically I'd prefer if we had that brainstorming first, before adding
more repositories and more process.

> question #2 - what do we call it? os-specs, openstack-specs, tc-specs,
> cross-project-specs?
>
> question #3 - who is the core team?
>
> I'd rather not wait until after summit, because I'd like some content
> and back and forth before the operator days at summit, and doing that in
> the wiki (where it currently is) doesn't really support that in the same
> way.

I would still very much prefer if we waited. Maybe you can leverage
other solutions to iterate on a doc in the mean time ? Etherpad maybe ?