[openstack-tc] upgrade testing expectation

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Apr 10 17:35:11 UTC 2014

On 04/10/2014 12:01 PM, Eoghan Glynn wrote:

> Hi Sean,
>
> Thanks for raising this.
>
> Can I clarify one related point, whether grenade is intended
> primarily to catch intrinsic or extrinsic upgrade issues?
>
> Or both?
>
> Intrinsic in this context would for example be service A failing
> post-upgrade due to a bad DB schema migration.
>
> Whereas extrinsic would for example be service A failing post-
> upgrade because some dependency/assumption with respect to
> service B is now broken.
>
> I ask because ceilometer when used with a "schema free" storage
> driver may be more likely to suffer from extrinsic issues on
> upgrade as opposed to intrinsic (e.g. nova changes a notification
> payload between versions, as opposed to a failed db-sync as that
> wouldn't even arise).
>
> But surely such integration issues should have been caught in
> advance via the normal Tempest testing of master-versus-master,
> and wouldn't necessarily require the big-bang stable-to-master
> approach of grenade to smoke out?
>
> Or am I missing something obvious here?

I will in no way say we catch all upgrade issues in grenade, but let me
tell you what we expect to work, and are testing against.

In grenade we bring up stable/last version of OpenStack, exercise it
with Tempest (smoke subset), and then specifically create some
additional resources we expect to survive the upgrade. We then upgrade
the *code* to master. The configuration is left at the stable/last
version, as we should have 1 cycle deprecation on configuration. We run
a series of specific upgrade scripts (which in the base case do
db-sync), then check for the expected resources to still be there, and
complete with another Tempest smoke run.

This should catch config deprecation issues, it should catch bad db
upgrades (as we've got content in the db), and it represents some rough
state of running an openstack cloud that includes data from an old state
of openstack.

There are plenty of things that could be improved, but it's managed to
catch a lot of basic issues that are huge pains for deployers rolling
openstack forward.