[openstack-tc] upgrade testing expectation

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Apr 10 10:45:35 UTC 2014

On 04/10/2014 05:37 AM, Steven Hardy wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 10:51:08AM +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>> The fact that Ceilometer and Heat haven't caught up with upgrade testing
>> during their N+1 integrated cycle is more of a problem, so I think it's
>> a good idea to document it in the post-graduation requirements.
>
> FYI I've been looking into grenade and hope to post a patch enabling
> upgrade testing for Heat soon.
>
> The main barriers for Heat catching up have been lack of knowledge of the
> test infrastructure (still a problem for grenade, slowly improving for
> tempest), and lack of tempest review velocity.
>
> Rest assured, we are aware of these gaps and are working towards closing
> them.
>
> Perhaps a suggestion would be some sort of "mentor" initiative, where
> someone with experience of the test infrastructure is paired with one of
> the core contributors for a new project (e.g during incubation, or during
> the cycle immediately after graduation) to monitor progress, provide review
> feedback and answer questions while the new project works on initial
> integration with the automated tests?

I think that's a great idea. I think that as we've gone from 5
integrated projects, and the cross functional teams (docs, qa, infra,
release) to 11 integrated projects, the cross functional teams by
necessity become more mentors and reviewers than doing the crux of the work.

So having projects having a core liason to the cross functional teams in
general probably makes a lot of sense. I know it does for QA.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
Samsung Research America