[openstack-tc] Savanna incubation request

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Sep 5 08:57:22 UTC 2013

Gabriel Hurley wrote:
> I think we have two fundamental questions to answer:
>
>   1. Is "Amazon has it, so OpenStack should too" sufficient to grant incubation and ultimately integration (provided all technical bars are met)?

Personally I don't really consider the "does Amazon have it" angle, but
rather "is it a critical component of an IaaS+ solution". I define
"IaaS+" as pure infrastructure as a service + slightly more advanced
services that act as basic building blocks for application builders
(things like queues or databases).

Now Amazon has most components of a decent IaaS+ solution, so there is
definitely some overlap.

>   2. If the answer to #1 is "yes" then should we grant each one a program like we're looking at with Marconi (making the proliferation based on Projects that we were trying to avoid happen all over again), or should there be a program for higher-level services that provide AWS parity (not the IaaS stuff) that things like Marconi, Savanna, etc. go under as projects within that program.

Programs are all about teams. People working together toward a common
goal (their mission statement). They elect a PTL who is responsible for
the whole program. I don't really want to artificially group separate
teams under an "umbrella" just because they may belong in the same
category of projects. What would be the benefit of doing that ? I can
certainly see a lot of drawbacks, like creating groups with no unity and
competing subgroups.

Why not grant each separate team its own program ?