[openstack-tc] Savanna incubation request

Gabriel Hurley Gabriel.Hurley at nebula.com
Wed Sep 4 22:00:12 UTC 2013

I'm sending this to the TC list before opening it up to the general mailing list because it's something I'll bring up at the incubation discussion...

At the meeting this week we discussed Marconi, and the argument in favor of incubating it was "Amazon has SQS." The proposal was to incubate it under a "Queue" program.

Now we have Savanna, and the argument for it is "Amazon has Elastic MapReduce." Following the previous logic it goes under another program.

I think we have two fundamental questions to answer:

  1. Is "Amazon has it, so OpenStack should too" sufficient to grant incubation and ultimately integration (provided all technical bars are met)?

  2. If the answer to #1 is "yes" then should we grant each one a program like we're looking at with Marconi (making the proliferation based on Projects that we were trying to avoid happen all over again), or should there be a program for higher-level services that provide AWS parity (not the IaaS stuff) that things like Marconi, Savanna, etc. go under as projects within that program.

Personally I favor "yes" and "there should be one umbrella program" myself, but I think the Technical Committee as a whole needs to look at the problems in this light and decide where we're going.

All the best,

    - Gabriel