[openstack-tc] Copyrights and License Headers in source files

Mark Washenberger mark.washenberger at markwash.net
Wed May 1 21:57:45 UTC 2013

Hi folks,

I was looking into the ASL-2.0, and chanced across the fact that in Apache
projects, they require that source files only have the License Header, and
may not have any copyright notices [1]. It occurred to me that we waste a
fair amount of time on copyrights in license headers, and it would be nice
not to have to do that anymore.

I also noticed a previous conversation [2] on this subject. I have not
found any policy that actually requires us to include copyrights with each
source file license header.

Feel free to suggest that this is more trouble than it is worth, but I'd
like to propose that we discourage new contributions from including
copyright attribution, and provide a process to work with the various
parties we have to remove the copyrights from existing files. Somewhere
along the line, somebody (maybe even me!) could write some appropriate
hooks to ensure the (now identical) license header is present in every file
for every submission.

Also, feel free to suggest that I'm plain wrong and am still wet behind the
ears--I won't be terribly surprised!

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers
[2]
http://markmail.org/message/eawha7pjiqoslm66?q=openstack+license+source+header