[openstack-tc] [openstack-dev] Splitting the Baremetal driver out of Nova

Devananda van der Veen devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Wed May 1 16:10:22 UTC 2013

To clarify this request, since there seems to be some ambiguity as to
whether I suggested a scope reduction to Nova or a new incubated project, I
am, in fact, suggesting both at the same time, and would like the TC to
consider these requests in parallel. Specifically, I would like to see the
baremetal code be split out of Nova and into a new project, code name
Ironic, which would start incubation immediately, and thereafter follow the
normal incubation process until the TC determines that graduation is (or
isn't) appropriate.

A salient point here is that, at the moment, there is no separate codebase
for ironic. The majority of functionality lives in these places within the
nova tree:

  bin/nova-baremetal-deploy-helper
  bin/nova-baremetal-manage
  nova/api/openstack/compute/contrib/baremetal_nodes.py
  nova/virt/baremetal/*
  nova/tests/baremetal/*

I am starting the work of splitting the code now(), and waiting for the
TC's determination of incubate-or-not to see whether the code gets hosted
on the stackforge or openstack org. Once the split tree is working to some
degree, I'll reply to this thread with a link to github, so folks can start
to look at it.

Regards,
Devananda