[openstack-tc] Reddwarf application for incubation

Cooley, Jim (HPCS) james.cooley at hp.com
Mon Apr 29 17:15:31 UTC 2013

I absolutely agree with the thinking here and the model.  There is
definitely a grey area between complete PaaS and hardcore IaaS and I think
this helps shed some light on that categorization.

Forgive me if this seems completely biased (it probably is), but hardcore
IaaS by itself isn't any more interesting than managed hosting.  It's
really the Iaas++ that makes it spin and greatly reduces the time to
building a complex application/system for PaaS developers.  If Openstack
is to grow and to compete with the likes of Amazon, Google, Microsoft, and
other players in the space, it must have IaaS++ offerings to enable rapid
growth of the ecosystem around the hardcore IaaS.

I believe databases are one key piece of that IaaS++ infrastructure
required to build a vibrant ecosystem.

-jc