[openstack-tc] Policy on "3rd party" APIs and Nova

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Nov 6 13:40:06 UTC 2012

Anne Gentle wrote:
> Regarding the scope clarification - my question is, is the TC making
> policy that all -core projects must follow?

We currently have a PPB-old edict that prevents projects from accepting
new 3rd-party APIs. Vish proposes to dissolve that edict and let all
projects pick 3rd-party APIs if they think they make sense for their
project, can be maintained etc.. So in a way, we would be removing
established restrictions rather than making a choice.

The reality is a bit more complex though. As Jay mentioned, the edict
had for example the side benefit of making it easy to refuse 3rd-party
APIs (no need to pick losers and winners). The edict was also about
ensuring the OpenStack API was the first-class API, by encouraging
projects to come up with a clean internal compute API for 3rd-party APIs
to connect to.

While I'm all for letting more freedom to each project on that specific
matter, I would really preferred if we arrived one day to that clean
internal API... and I feel like removing the incentive to do it is not a
step in the right direction.

PS: this thread should really have happened on openstack-dev. Next time
a topic is cross-posted to openstack-dev + openstack-tc we should make
sure the subsequent discussion happens (only) on -dev.

Release Manager, OpenStack