[openstack-tc] Policy on "3rd party" APIs and Nova

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Mon Nov 5 20:43:33 UTC 2012

Regarding the scope clarification - my question is, is the TC making
policy that all -core projects must follow? If so, then we will need
detailed definitions of what it means to accept an API - code patches
and reviews seem to be assumed but what about test platforms? Minimum
documentation?

> In terms of support and maintenance, I don't see an API being all that
> different from any other new proposed feature.

Specifically, I don't think this is true - testing, releasing, and
documenting are all part of this support and maintenance. I don't
think we'll get the doc and test support we'd need based on what I've
observed so far with the Swift 3rd-party APIs - configuring how-tos
for S3 for example weren't put into the documentation. I also realize
that certain features are not being documented fully (the bare metal
stuff has me concerned as well).

What I think inclusion of more APIs, what it does is put more burden
on prioritizing - what do we document first? second? third? And so on.

My questions relate to: beyond just the patch acceptance, what are we
signing (all projects) up for? It's not a matter of blocking but
wondering how to resource honestly so we can sign up for this in good
faith (pragmatically not visionarily). Just made that last word up.

Anne