[Openstack-stable-maint] Havana support

Alan Pevec apevec at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 15:01:58 UTC 2014

> Another thing that is not clear to me is who defines that transition
> between general stable branch state into 'Security-supported' one. Are
> there any written rules for that, like binding such transition to
> trunk milestones?

What is community supported is a function of resources available and
historical experience with bitrot in N-1 branches, expanding the
support scope for N-1 stable branch is fine if we can deliver it.
We didn't have that written down, but traditionally when N is released
it becomes "Current stable release, security-supported" and N-1
"downgraded" to "Security-supported" only. N-1 was going EOL around
N+1 milestone3 but we have extended that to 15 months at last design
summit.
IIRC "current stable release" was originally defined by markmc as the
branch where stable-maint team proactively proposes backports by
monitoring the trunk, but we have lost that mode long ago, backports
are now done retroactively after bugs are reported.

To clarify, I propose following wording to be added to
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/StableBranch#Releases

 When new OpenStack version is released it becomes "Current stable
release, security-supported"" and previous version
"Security-supported".
 "Current stable release" is the primary target for backports of
bugfixes by the stable-maint team, other active branches may receive
bugfix backports.
 "Security-supported" releases are target for the security fixes by
the [[Vulnerability_Management#Supported_versions|VMT]]
 OpenStack Havana stable release will reach EOL at Juno (N+2)
milestone-3 and stable releases starting from Icehouse will reach EOL
15 months after their release (approximately N+3 milestone-2).

Cheers,
Alan