[Openstack-stable-maint] 2012.2.1 status - locking it down

Gary Kotton gkotton at redhat.com
Wed Nov 28 08:04:01 UTC 2012

On 11/28/2012 01:57 AM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Hey,
>
> We're still hoping to releasing 2012.2.1 on Thursday but we need to lock
> things down now to allow last minute regression testing.
>
> So, please don't approve any more fixes for the branch until after the
> release. If there's something you think warrants an exception, leave a
> +2 with a comment explaining you're thinking and I'll make the call as
> release manager.

Thanks for the detailed updated and heads up about the approvals. There
is one critical patch for Quantum:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/17033/. The problem that we encountered
was if namespaces are disabled and the DHCP agents device is not the
first device in the routing table (for example if the L3 agents tap
device is created first), then instances will not receive IP addresses
from the DHCP agent.

There are a couple of other patches pending review for Quantum in the
stable branch (I am just testing prior to pushing them). They are not
critical for this release and can wait till the next.

> We've had a huge amount of activity in the last week, so I'm a little
> nervous that we might have broken something. The current "bugs fixed"
> tallies are:
>
>     79 nova
>     33 quantum
>     11 glance
>      7 keystone
>      3 cinder
>      1 horizon
>    134 total
>
> Things to note:
>
>    * It looks like there might be a regression on stable/folsom with
>      ceph/rbd:
>
>        https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1083818
>
>      Adam Gandelman and Josh Durgin are chasing it.
>
>    * There's a very serious known issue with the image cache cleanup
>      code when you're using shared storage:
>
>        https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1078594
>
>      The fix is invasive and risky, but there's a known workaround (i.e.
>      disable the image cache manager) which Vish has documented in the
>      release notes.
>
>      We may just disable the image cache manager by default for the
>      release.
>
>    * The Quantum linuxbridge plugin fix which allows us to move away from
>      using libvirt's type="ethernet" has been merged, but it isn't
>      really useful without the corresponding change to the Nova VIF
>      driver.
>
>         https://review.openstack.org/16223
>
>      Given the limited number of users affected, maybe we can consider
>      merging the Nova change before the release too.
>
>      One detail here is that if we merge the Nova VIF change, we would
>      need to warn users to update Quantum before Nova.

I have added the patch for this - https://review.openstack.org/17036

I am going to be spending the rest of the day testing the stable branches.