[Openstack-sigs] [security] A Security Project Proposal

TING PANG chengfeiyoiua at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 14:43:13 UTC 2018

Dear all,

As we all known, security has always been a hot topic among people. In
OpenStack, if an attacker make a system un-trustworthy, it will make a risk
for entire infrastructure and affect customers confidence. Fortunately,
more and more vendors start providing security solutions with the trusted
computing. It is a security technology based on a hardware trust format to
improve system integrity and trustworthy. The risks and threats on cloud
can be mitigated and managed with trusted computing technology, which can
make a customer more confident when utilizing OpenStack.

However, there are some mainstream trusted formats (e.g. TPM, TCM) and some
special trusted formats provided by vendors (e.g. Google, Microsoft ) in
the world, which cause huge development costs and interoperability issues
for vendors to support various trusted formats.

To resolve problems above, we want to create a new security project named
"Hawthorn" that provides a general unified trust management framework to be
compatible with different trust formats in OpenStack.

More general information can be found here:
*https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Hawthorn
<https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Hawthorn>*

Please feel free to contact me if you are interested in this proposal or
have questions and suggestion.

Best regards,

Ting