[Openstack-sigs] Dropping lazy translation support

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 17:51:57 UTC 2018

This is a follow up to a dev ML email [1] where I noticed that some
implementations of the upgrade-checkers goal were failing because some
projects still use the oslo_i18n.enable_lazy() hook for lazy log message
translation (and maybe API responses?).

The very old blueprints related to this can be found here [2][3][4].

If memory serves me correctly from my time working at IBM on this, this
was needed to:

1. Generate logs translated in other languages.

2. Return REST API responses if the "Accept-Language" header was used
and a suitable translation existed for that language.

#1 is a dead horse since I think at least the Ocata summit when we
agreed to no longer translate logs since no one used them.

#2 is probably something no one knows about. I can't find end-user
documentation about it anywhere. It's not tested and therefore I have no
idea if it actually works anymore.

I would like to (1) deprecate the oslo_i18n.enable_lazy() function so
new projects don't use it and (2) start removing the enable_lazy() usage
from existing projects like keystone, glance and cinder.

Are there any users, deployments or vendor distributions that still rely
on this feature? If so, please speak up now.

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-November/136285.html
[2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/oslo-incubator/+spec/i18n-messages
[3] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/i18n-messages