[Openstack-sigs] [First Contact][SIG] [PTG] Summary of Discussions

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 09:31:15 UTC 2018

I don't think Howard's point necessarily applies to the case of Japan.

As Japanese community, we don't encourage to use non-IRC tools for
OpenStack developers.
Our local version of the upstream institute (training) uses a specific
IRC channel for example.
Our mailing lists of Japan users group (using google groups from
historical reason :p) is open to any topics including development,
operators, setup and so on.

On the other hand, we use other tools: a Slack room for Japan
operators community and a gitter room for Japanese translators.
There are several reasons. One big reason is Slack is a popular
communication tool.
Another reason (which I think is more important) is such tools support
offline notification. These tools allows us to track discussions while
they are offline.
A standard IRC does not provide such feature. Users need to set up
other tools like IRC bouncer or use other IRC-based service (like
IRCcloud).
OpenStack infra provides logs of our IRC channels, but it is not handy
to use multiple medias for a single discussion.
When I prepared a gitter room for Japanese translators, I compared
several tools from various points (unlimited logs, unlimited number of
members, openness and so on) and decided to use Gitter in this case.
Although it might not be ideal, it is useful and convenient for
non-developers.

In my understanding, the first contact SIG is mainly for developers,
so my above point does not necessarily apply, but I think it is one of
important points to support offline communication.

Thanks,
Akihiro