[Openstack-sigs] [meta][governance] SIG Governance Proposal

Melvin Hillsman mrhillsman at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 11:46:59 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

As you all know we have been operating SIGs for some time now with a very
loose governance model. We took this approach on purpose to give folks
space and opportunity to decide what they believed constituted a SIG in
hopes of learning how we can apply SIGs to our community needs. However at
this point there is some confusion and concern regarding SIG governance, in
particular the need to have a clear way to address issues before any
conflict arises. As a temporary resolution the Meta SIG leads are proposing
the following:

If conflicts between SIGs or within the leadership of a given SIG cannot be
solved at the SIG level, they should be brought to the SIG admins group for
resolution. The SIG admins group is formed of a UC representative and a TC
representative. In case the SIG admins disagree on the resolution of the
conflict, the OpenStack Foundation Executive Director will be asked to
break the tie.

To be more clear, this is primarily to address concerns that cannot be or
are not handled within the individual SIG. An example would be a SIG with
only two leaders/chairs and an inability to settle something between the
two resulting in the need for a third-party to assist in resolving; an
email to the SIG ML with the topic [governance] is sufficient. Keep in mind
this is just a first step towards us figuring out overall SIG governance
and your input is needed.

The initial SIG admins group is formed by Melvin Hillsman (UC
representative) and Thierry Carrez (TC representative). The UC and TC are
of course welcome to designate new representatives at any time. The SIG
admins also approve changes to the
https://governance.openstack.org/sigs/ website,
including approving new SIGs.

Kind regards,