[Openstack-sigs] [self-healing][all] Expose SIG to user/ops

Rico Lin rico.lin.guanyu at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 12:50:32 UTC 2018

Hi all

As we went through some discussion form Summit for self-healing sig, To
collect Use case is one of our goal in Rocky cycle.
Keep thinking how can we expose This SIG to users/ops and make this become
a regular thing.
Here's some idea that might help, also might be able to help other SIG as
well:

** Join user survey:*
It's possible for SIG to propose options in User survey.
If we going to do so, we should provide questions which can be answered by
selecting from options or let's said minimal written is preferred.
So what will the question be? Would like to hear from everyone for any idea.

** Expose our StoryBoard to user/ops*
Another idea is to expose our StoryBoard to user/ops. OpenStack
community currently didn't have any effective way to raise issues for
self-healing. If we expose StoryBoard to user/ops to allow them to raise
issues, users can directly file the entire story, instead of just reporting
part of the issue and that usually reply with `Oh, that's XXX
project's issue, we got nothing to do with it`.
Don't get this wrong, we got nothing to block user to raise story(issues)
in any project, including self-healing SIG. But I believe to specific tell
user where you can drop that story to trigger cross-project discussions
will be the right way instead of telling nothing and user not even know any
valid way to deal with issues. Imaging that when you first join a
community, there is a line tell you if you have a question about
self-healing/k8s/upgrade/etc here is where you can raise the issue, and
find help.
I will imagine we need to have people from teams to be around to deal with
issues and tell users/ops when they come. But for what I know, we actually
got attention from most of teams that concerns about self-healing.
I think in order to do so (if that's a good idea), we need someplace better
than ML to tell users/ops that here is where you can go when you found your
self-healing not working or you need any help. Also, I think this might
actually apply to other SIGs.

** Build gate job for self-healing task*
We have some use cases that already been demo around self-healing cases,
like Vitrage+Mistral, Heat+Mistral+Aodh, etc. Also, some scenarios are
under development. I believe there are values to generate a periodic task,
or even a cross-project gate to make sure we didn't break the general
self-healing use cases. If we can do so, I think users/ops will have the
better confidence to say self-healing is absolutely working in OpenStack.
Also, we don't need to build separate tempest plugin if we can find any
projects willing to host those test. Not speaking for the entire team, but
I think Heat might be able to provide something here.

Those are my proposal, please help to give your opinions. Thanks all.

--
May The Force of OpenStack Be With You,

*Rico Lin*irc: ricolin