[Openstack-sigs] [self-healing][all] Expose SIG to user/ops

Rico Lin rico.lin.guanyu at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 16:57:25 UTC 2018

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 12:56 AM Adam Spiers <aspiers at suse.com> wrote:

> This sounds like a great idea to me!  I've submitted a story for this:
>
>     https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2003423
>
> and set up an etherpad for brainstorming:
>
>     https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/self-healing-user-survey-questions

I think those two questions are quite great. Just put some extra idea in
that.
Also, I have proposed you're etherpad under UC discussions in PTG
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/uc-stein-ptg
Unfortunately, that's when UC discuss about next survey, so appears we have
to settle down with certain questions before our meeting in PTG.
For me, the current version looks nice. If anyone like to suggest more,
feel free to do so

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Self-healing_SIG#Community_Infrastructure_.2F_Resources

> but yes we could also proactively announce this in places which would
> reach more users and operators, inviting them to submit stories.  Can
> you suggest how best to do this?  We could email the openstack and
> openstack-operators lists, although TBH I have done this several times
> in the past and not gotten much engagement - probably because both
> lists are very high traffic.

I guess we should keep trying to propose in ML. There're two more places I
think we can try on. As we might be able to have our own page in User
survey, I think we're allow to put more message to point a place(our git
repo, or an etherpad) for Users who like to add more information during
that survey. The second place is SuperUser MagZ. If we can come's up with
an article (which we can plan in PTG if we like to have one) to introduce
our plan, works, and needs. I think Super User will willing to help us post
that article out. If we got some article, we can Use official OpenStack
social media (FB, Twitter, etc) to broadcast that information.

> I love this idea, and yes the self-healing-sig git repository could
> absolutely be the home for this gating code.  I suspect that a big
> part of the challenge will be to simulate failures in order to test
> the self-healing functionality.  In fact we already have a story
> regarding automated testing:
>
>     https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2002129
>
> although that is much more ambitious in scope, i.e. building a
> complete framework which could support testing of many different
> self-healing scenarios.  I have some documentation on the Eris project
> which I am planning to upload to the repository on this.
>
> However your proposal sounds less ambitious and more likely to be
> achievable in the short-term, so I'd love to learn more about how you
> think this might work (unfortunately I don't know much about Tempest
> internals yet).

Since the git just updated with more official project format, we can add
Zuul.yaml to define our periodic job I think we already got a lot of places
to add tempest test(I think we might be able to use heat-tempest-plugin
too), so we shouldn't need to build our own tempest repo